Recipe by Jose Salazar
Adapted by Adhrucia Apana for
Pots and pans
Can of high quality Foi Gras
4 sticks celery
1 cup Pumpkin Seeds
4 baby Bok Choys
Before you start:
1.Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C
2. Place a pot of water with 2-3tbs of salt in it on the burner to boil
3. Prepare an Ice bath for blanching your vegetables
4. Peel your celery sticks lightly to get rid of any hard exterior fibers
5.Place aside some leaves from your celery stalks to use for garnish
6.Slice celery stalks in half long ways then slice each half on a bias into 5 to 6 small celery sticks (4 pieces for each plate)
7. Use a peeler to scrape your remaining celery sticks (long ways) creating a handful of ribbon like shavings
8.Cut each long celery ribbon into 1inch pieces & place in a bowl or cup of ice water taken from the ice bath.
9.Take your celery pieces (sticks) & place them in the salted boiling water. Cook for 30 seconds.
10. Remove celery pieces from the boiling water & place them directly in the prepared ice bath
11. Split each baby bok choy in half & place the halves in the salted boiling water. Cook for 1 minute.
12. Remove bok choy from boiling water & place into the ice bath
13. Remove bok choy & celery from ice bath & place on piece of paper to drain
Next take the Foie Gras: French for "fat liver" made from the liver of a duck or goose that has been fattened
There are several grades of Foie Gras: A~ Top quality!
B~ Good quality a little more fat & texture
C~ Commercial grade quality used for pates etc.
1. Heat your pan on high
2. Score your foie gras lightly several times on one side & season liberally with Kosher salt
3. Place foie gras on a hot pan scored side down & after a quick sear remove pan from stove & place in preheated oven. Bake for 2 1/2 minute then flip.
4. Remove foie gras from the oven & flip then return to the oven for another 1-2 minutes
5. Remove foie gras & place on piece of paper to drain. Baste foie gras with its drippings from the pan to keep moist
6. Sprinkle foie gras with a pinch of Cel Gris (grey salt) & a pinch of fresh ground pepper
Heat a 2nd pan on high
7. Place 1 tbs canola oil in other pan once it is hot. Once oil is hot add drained halves of bok choy to the pan.
8. After 1 minuteute flip the bok choy halves to sear other side. Add drained celery pieces to the pan with bok choy to warm for 1 minute while bok choy sears. Sprinkle everything in pan with a pinch of Kosher salt.
9. Remove bok choy & celery from pan & allow them to drain on a new paper towel
Time to plate!
Quinnel your pre-prepared mostardo into a football (oval) shape & place on plate (Quinnel ~ to use two spoons to create a rounded oval shape)
Create a “package” out of each bok choy half by wrapping the leaves of the bok choy around the body of the bok choy. Place each “package on plate leaning against the quinnel of mostarda
Place a piece of foie gras on each plate leaning against the bok choy packages
Apple cider reduction (pre-prepare) – Reduce apple cider by boiling till liquid has been reduced by 75%. Allow to cool & place in a new paint bottle or sauce bottle with tip to use as garnish.
Place dots of apple cider reduction around the plate decoratively. Garnish with pieces celery, pieces of pre-made pumpkin seed granola, & celery curls
Seared Foie Gras, Bok Choy, & Apple Mostarda garnished with Homemade Pumpkin Seed Granola, Celery & Apple Cider Reduction