Chili Rubbed Salmon with Bacon Quinoa
& Plantains Foster
Recipe by Chef Case Eyrich
3 Medium Sized Pots
1 Oven Safe/Metal Frying Pan
Heat Resistant Tongs (Optional)
Heat Resistant Spoon/Spatula (Optional)
2 Large Frying Pans
Sharp Butcher Knife
Heat Resistant Strainer
Small Tupperware Container (Optional for mixing rum and sugar)
Oven (Pre-heat to 500° F before placing Salmon on pan)
½ Cup 100% Pomegranate Juice
½ Cup Red Wine
2 Cups of Cream
1 Clove or ¼ tsp.
1 Large Plantain
1 Dried Ancho Chile
1 Dried Guajillo
½ tsp. Achiote or Annatto Paste
3oz Olive Oil
2 Cups Quinoa
1 Cup Spiced Rum
2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
6oz Piece of Raw Salmon (Scottish
1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp. of Butter
1) Bring ½ Cup of Pomegranate Juice & ½ Cup of Red Wine to a boil in a medium sized pot. When sauce comes to a boil reduce flame to low and simmer. Allow to reduce for several minutes. Large bubbles are a good sign that reduction is done!
2) Slice or Buy 2oz of Applewood Smoked Bacon. Place Bacon in a separate pot on medium high and fry till golden brown.
3) Add ¼ tsp. of Fresh Garlic or 1 clove to Bacon and 2 Cups of Cream then reduce flame to low; carefully bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 min.
4) Slice your Plantains into halves; then slice each half long-ways into 3 slices and set aside.
5) Remove Cream and Bacon sauce from heat and pour through strainer into a new bowl. Set aside.
6) Break off the tops of 1 dried Ancho Chile and 1 dried Guajillo Pepper and pour out seeds. Chop both Chilies into rough bits.
7) Place chopped Chilies and ½ tsp. of Achiote or Annatto paste in blender. Start blending at low speed. Slowly add 3 oz. of Olive Oil increasing speed of blender till it is on high. Set aside.
8) Add 2 cups of Quinoa into a pot of boiling water that has been generously salted and cook for 10 min. When Quinoa is finished cooking, place in strainer and run cold water over it to rinse.
9) While Quinoa is cooking, place 1 cup of Spiced Rum and 2 tbsp. of Brown Sugar in a Tupperware container, seal tightly, and shake until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
10) Lightly brush both sides of a 6oz piece of fresh raw Salmon (Chef prefers Scottish Salmon) with your finished Chile Paste from the blender and lightly salt the “top”
11) Heat oven safe pan on high till hot. Add 1-2 tbsp. of Olive Oil and continue to heat on high till oil hits its “smoke point” Right after Olive Oil begins to smoke place Salmon top (salted side) down onto pan and reduce heat to medium heat.
12) After top of Salmon has seared for 2 minutes flip and immediately place in 500 F degree oven for 4 min
13) In a new pan add 3oz of your Bacon Cream Sauce & 1 Cup of Cooked Quinoa; lightly salt and place on medium heat to cook.
14) Cook mixture while stirring till Bacon Cream starts to bind to Quinoa. Add a tbsp. of grated Parmesan Cheese and set aside.
15) Brown 1tbsp. of Butter in a new pan on medium heat. Place sliced Plantains into pan with butter and add 3-4 tbsp. of rum and sugar mixture. Cook Plantains until caramelized crust forms (30 sec) then flip and repeat on other side.
16) Douse your Plantains with an extra splash of Rum and quickly light Rum on fire to burn off alcohol
17) Plate your Salmon with a heap of finished Quinoa, a slice of Bananas Foster and drizzle with the finished Pomegranate and Wine Reduction.